[TYPO3-hci] Less ways to do it...

Peter Kindström peter.kindstrom at abc.se
Sun Jun 11 20:50:57 CEST 2006

Hi Kasper,
I agree mostly with your summarizing, but...

>>> But why remove external and shortcut? At least the former is clearly
>>> distinct from other page types.
>>
>> Isn't external just a shortcut to outside the page tree? I've never used
>> it, but I wonder why we can't treat it as a shortcut, and have a
>> shortcut tab where you can set the target and some options, etc.

> But shortcut, external URL, mount point? Those are very practical to
> keep distinct because they do radically different things than a normal
> page - just like a sys_folder is much different! Even for your idea of
> steering the page module display by page type this comes in handy as
> shortcut and external url pages would call for different display!

Here I have to agree with Michael!
 From a non-technical users point of view there are only
shortcuts, but they can be internal or external. You either make
a shortcut (or link) to a page on your own web site or to a page
on an external web site.
For a little more technical user it is like making an <A>-tag.
They can point to an internal or external page, but they still
are <A>-tags!

In our CMS at work this is exactly the case, there are ONE page
type for shortcuts and when you make a new shortcut you can
choose if it should point to an internal page or an external page.

--

Peter Kindström