[TYPO3-hci] Focus on the editors.

Alex Heizer alex at tekdevelopment.com
Sat Jun 3 03:03:43 CEST 2006

Hi Kasper,

Kasper Skårhøj wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> May I point out that workspaces effectively is disabled if you a)
> disable access to draft-workspace for users/and groups and b) do not
> create any custom workspaces; then only Live workspace is available
> (= previous versions).
>
> Setting that for an upgraded website is just two easy SQL-statements
> run directly on the database! That is not an excuse not to upgrade.
>
> For an upgraded 4.0 installation you will find that all be-users and
> be-groups have access to the live and draft workspace. That is not
> the case for new users you create inside 4.0 (AFAIK).
>
> - kasper

Thanks, this should work for the users we currently have in the sites.
Part of the concern was to keep the BE as clean as possible, and making
it not confusing to editors to see a new "Select version:" bar at the
top of the edit window where they normally see the "Edit page header"
and "New content" buttons, and also the [LIVE workspace] dropdown along
the bottom of the site. Sometimes our users can get "click-happy" when
they see something new. Perhaps if it was conditional to not display
workspace fields for installations without users with workspace access,
or have it as an item in the 'Allowed excludefields:' module when
setting up a group like we have 'Page: Description', or even maybe TS in
the template or page header (disable.WorkspaceFields = 1, etc.). Not a
deal-breaker for upgrading, but maybe an idea when thinking about
refining the BE for usability. I'm very much aware of the work that's
already been done on the workspaces, so I hope this comes across as an
idea sparked from field-testing rather than a criticism of "you did it
all wrong!!" :)

One thing to *not* change, though, is the page view in the workspaces. I
love that it shows the live and draft versions together in the same FE
window. As far as usability, this is great!

Alex

> On May 24, 2006, at 10:02 , Alex Heizer wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> Troels Kjær Rasmussen wrote:
>>
>>> - Improvements in the workflow-system - by this I mean a more
>>> intuative
>>> approach to both workflows and workspaces.
>>>

>> To me, an improvement would be the ability to load or unload
>> workspaces
>> as needed for an installation, rather than per-user. We run a lot of
>> multi-customer installs that can't be upgraded to 4.0 without going in
>> and manually disabling workspaces for each user, since only one or
>> two,
>> if any, would ever want to use the workspaces.
>>
>> Workspaces is a great feature, and a lot of work's already been
>> done on
>> it, so I'm not saying it's useless (I've set up workflows before on
>> 3.8.1 installations and it's really great). But for small clients with
>> one editor and a few dozen pages at most, it would be nice to just
>> enable/disable it for an installation and configure it only if you
>> need
>> it, rather than have it enabled by default and configure it to be
>> disabled for all users.
>>
>> Alex
>>

> - kasper
>
> "A contribution a day keeps the fork away"

The tekdevelopment team
http://www.tekdevelopment.com