[TYPO3-hci] Backend in "Mambo"-Mode

Alex Heizer alex at tekdevelopment.com
Sat Jun 3 02:24:59 CEST 2006

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] wrote:
> Kasper Skårhøj schrieb am 02.06.2006 16:16:
>

>>> What about having a sort of "semantic layer"? A place where to register
>>> where e.g. news-items are stored (not only to tt-news, but globally),
>>> and doing this so abstract, that an admin could easily create a new
>>> interface for novice users with different content types.
>>>

>> This is _exactly_ what "actions" can already do and has done for 4
>> years. They are even available directly from the task center which is
>> what comes closest to the "alternative start-up page" idea.
>>
>> I can only see that we miss to wrap it in eye candy - and of course
>> teach some of you that it exists ;-)
>>

> True thing! This is something very useful but very very hidden.
>
> For the impatient:
>
> 1) Install extension "sys_action"
> 2) Create a new record at root-level of type "Action".
> 3) Choose the Type "New Record", a place where the new news records are
> to be placed and just records of type "News".
> 4) Assign it to some user-group that has "News" permissions in your system
>
> That's it! Now login as a user in that group and check out your "User>
> Tasks" module. You'll see the action you just created in place, the user
> just has to click on it to create a new news.

I started using actions last week as a result of this discussion and I
must say that even experienced users like me can really improve their
speed with this one. I knew actions were there, but never set any up. On
a site that I only do a few tasks on (blog entries, news items in one
folder, gallery items), I get in and get working with a single click of
the mouse. Very fast, and very much an improvement on "Click List - find
the page in the tree - click the page name - click the New Record After
icon", especially with large page trees. It's especially useful if you
select the "Start up in the module 'Task Center':" checkbox in the
User->Setup for each user who has actions! Sometimes you *can* teach old
dogs new tricks! ;)

Maybe it can be jazzed-up, visually, but then, isn't that the idea of
the BE being "skinnable"? Don't like the look? Hack your own skin. :)

Alex