[TYPO3-hci] Producing "reports" with TYPO3

Kasper Skårhøj kasper2006 at typo3.com
Fri Jun 2 15:27:28 CEST 2006

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for sharing your useful suggestion. I don't mind you posted it
here, but I do consider it outside the focus of usability. I will
probably apply this judgement to other suggestions as well.

To shape my own understanding of what criteria we use here I made
this list:

- 1: About architecture? => 5.0
- 2: Improve ease-of-use, newbee appeal, human-factor => 4.5 (thats
us! Our criteria!)
- 3: Features => Any version as an extension or core implementation
through bug-tracker)

Number 2 is the criteria for what the HCI team processes. It is
usability as in easy-to-use, not as in usefulness.

You suggestion could be a part of 4.5 but then as a result of #3 above.

- kasper

On May 18, 2006, at 20:40 , Lucas Thurston wrote:

> Hi all,
> One request I keep hearing from my clients is for a way to produce
> "reports" from the backend.  I should probably define what I mean by
> "reports" since it could mean many things.  By "reports" I mean a
> useful
> and human-readable collection of data from database tables with little
> or no processing.
>
> Say for instance we have a TYPO3 site with a conference registration
> extension.  Only registered fe users can register for conferences, so
> there's a database relation between the registrants and the fe_users
> table.  Imagine if, in the list module, certain fields from the
> fe_users
> (eg name, phone, email) table could be JOINed on the registrants
> table,
> then, using the CSV export feature that already exists, the site admin
> could produce a spreadsheet document of registrants.  This is a simple
> example--three or more tables ideally could be JOINed.
>
> This would be an extremely useful feature for organizations and web
> admins without knowledge of sql/database normalization.  I would be
> interested in working on such a project.
>
> Anyone have any thoughts on this?  How difficult would be it be to
> implement?  Does this fall into the realm of improving HCI?
>
> best,
> Lucas

- kasper

"A contribution a day keeps the fork away"