[TYPO3-hci] devilish details - improvement suggestions

Christopher bedlamminusspamhotel at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 20:40:11 CEST 2006

Johannes Reichardt wrote:
> Hi Irene,
>
> i set up a wiki page with these things - see
>
> http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/Devilish_Details
>
> I hope thats a good place to collect and discuss such tiny issues and
> default behaviours.
>
> - Johannes
>> -1 because constants are - when used - required for setup. Means: you
>> have  to add first the constant and then use it in setup. If done like
>> you  suggest, setup would have to be the first field in the form,
>> which pobably  would not increase usability.
>>
> yeah ok - but in everyday work you need the setup field most of time -
> and that what is needed most frequently should be on top - don´t you think?

If you use the Template module, you can edit one field at a time--and
the textareas are much larger than in the Page module's template editing
screens...

>> ----1 You can remove it easily in your own extensions. I want to be
>> able  to style extensions depending on that div, and I pretty often
>> need that  (complex layouts)

> Ok, maybe thats a better suggestion for 5.0. But i still think that
> these default divs point in the wrong direction of an open cms.

I don't understand your objection to this. As far as I can tell, if ANY
custom styling of an extension is to be done, some kind of wrapper with
a class (or at least a class on the output container if it's a table,
list etc) is /necessary/.

It's not exactly an unusual situation to need to style an unordered list
(or other element) differently in one part of a site than in another,
and the current method is /much/ better than applying a thousand class
attributes to every single html element in the output in the
time-honoured TYPO3 tradition...

However, I'd be happy to see this div wrapper move out of the php and
into the extension TS--solves both problems, no?

<snip>

Christopher