[TYPO3-hci] BE vs FE

Waldemar Kornewald wkornew at gmx.net
Mon Jul 31 22:10:07 CEST 2006

On 7/31/06, Tapio Markula <tapio.markula at dnainternet.net> wrote:
> >> If you like this kind of config I recommend to forget Typo3.
> >> IMO tha is too vulnerable solution.
> >> And if you put much those kinds of configrations it is difficult
> >> for newbees and the page control is not anymore really WYSIWYG.
> >> IMO that is a bad solution.
> >

> > Well, this would be hidden behind the WYSIWYG editor. Instead of
> > showing the [news] marker you show a nice News icon (click on it to
> > configure)
>
> how to put the icon to the page?

The editor can display images, so why not icons?

>   or even the whole configuration dialog for the news plugin.
> > Somehow I get the impression that you're trying to kill this idea no
> > matter if it would work or not. A powerful editor can completely
> > replace HTML and then it doesn't matter how the data is stored in the
> > backend.
>
> where to store configuration?
> Into a huge config field?
> How to put the config to the field if the button is in the middle
> of the content?

You could store it in a separate table if you like. Every marker could
get an ID which can be associated with its settings in the settings
table. There is a multitude of solutions. It's not really the problem,
is it?

> TypoScript offers configurations, which you can't imagine.
> This kind of config doesn't never satisfy needs of
> Typo3 developers.

Well, let's just forget it. It's too far away from Typo3's goals and I
don't want to fight with you.

> > You haven't commented on the layout table editor suggestion.
>
> many people don't like layout tables - they want to use any
> solution - tabless too - it is just too limited solution.

That layout doesn't have to be converted to HTML tables. It's just a
visualization of the page. And if I understand the current concept
then it's basically the same. You can put records above each other or
next to each other. Isn't that like a table?

> There should be no limitation how design the layout.

Of course not. Skins can be as flexible as you like, but I was talking
about how to visualize one single page. I want to suggest improvements
for the page module.

Bye,
Waldemar Kornewald