[TYPO3-hci] BE vs FE

Tapio Markula tapio.markula at dnainternet.net
Thu Aug 3 14:36:08 CEST 2006

Waldemar Kornewald wrote:

> I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. Does the BE list news
> items of sub-pages, too? I thought that this is only done in the FE.

yes, but in BE you define, if FE would list items in sub-page or not.

>> it is matter of the plugin developer - he can choose if he want to use
>> tabs. In fact tt_news use tabs!
>> I don't understand you now - tt_news use tabs and you complain that
>> plugins don't use tabs???

> Maybe I'm using a different news plugin?

'mininews' - much simpler news plugin - doesn't use tabs because it has
so few fields. For example 'Advanced Banner Manager' use four tabs.
and each view is relative short.

>> IMO Mambo-style Top menu would be best - it will be supported in future.

In fact Lasse Norby from Denmark made a proposal for that kind of
top menu - but he newer published it. It had some bugs but they could
be fixed - now we must hope that somebody else does it.

> But not Mambo-style site navigation. That's terrible...

really horrible - I can't understand people, who
use Mambo because BE doesn't have any proper presentation of the site
structure - you must keep the site structure inside you head
- impossible in large sites. Mambo fits small sites, where you have
so simple structure that you can remember it.
There are also many other corresponding CMS, which fits for relative
small sites, when simple listing is enough.