[TYPO3-hci] BE vs FE

Waldemar Kornewald wkornew at gmx.net
Thu Aug 3 14:19:43 CEST 2006

Damn, mistakenly pressed "Send"...

On 8/3/06, Tapio Markula <tapio.markula at dnainternet.net> wrote:
> > Also, record creation requires one additional page reload (compared to
> > Plone) although the creation dialog does not contain more information
>
> If you create a new page, it is *reasonable* to have an extra page. It
> is *extremely silly*, if CMS puts new page always after existing page -
> or even worse as sub-page. Read my comments to this issue.

You misunderstood. I was saying that in Plone this happens:
click "add new item"
click "news" (or whatever)
new page loads
enter fields

In TYPO3 you have
click "create new record"
new page loads (why?)
click "news"
new page loads
enter fields

In TYPO3 there is IMHO one unnecessary page load.

> > * This section does not offer a quick-add button for news.
>
> Just because news can be in any page.
> News plugin basically just plugin for *showing* news with different way
> - not creating them.

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing. Does the BE list news
items of sub-pages, too? I thought that this is only done in the FE.
At least, for me this doesn't happen.

> > In Plone, you don't have to enter the date, your name, and email in
> > every item because that data has default values (date=now,
> > name+email=you).
>
> where it gets you name - news has no relation to user list.
> Maybe possible if you make the relation.

There *should* be a relation.

> of course date could be set automatic.
> In typo3 you need commonly just click checkbox and you get the date/time
> - not difficult but could be fully automatic.

That would be nice.

> it is matter of the plugin developer - he can choose if he want to use
> tabs. In fact tt_news use tabs!
> I don't understand you now - tt_news use tabs and you complain that
> plugins don't use tabs???

Maybe I'm using a different news plugin?

> > You forgot that it also changes the way you switch a page's view mode
> > (if I understood the mockup correctly). It's important that actions
> > are placed at the location where something will happen. TYPO3's
> > buttons for Web views (Page, View, List, etc.) are misplaced in that
> > they don't indicate which column will be reloaded. Don't you think it
> > would be better if those buttons were moved to the right column, so
> > they behave like tabs for switching the view mode?
>
> IMO Mambo-style Top menu would be best - it will be supported in future.

But not Mambo-style site navigation. That's terrible...

Bye,
Waldemar Kornewald