[TYPO3-hci] BE vs FE

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Thu Aug 3 14:06:17 CEST 2006

Waldemar Kornewald schrieb am 03.08.2006 12:32:

> Actually, the *conceptual* difference is not very big (apart from
> content records). It's just the visual representation:
> http://www.menttes.com/contribs/plone01.png
>
> Plone:
> The "add new item" function is easy to find: at the top and visually
> separated from less important functions. Still, its position might
> imply that "add new item" will add the item to the current *page*, not
> folder. So, it's not perfect, either, but it works for
> trail-and-success.

I don't see the "add new item" in the provided screenshot. Maybe its not
that "easy to find"? :)

> TYPO3:
> Despite its importance for creating (e.g.) news items,

It might be important in your site, but it might not be important to
another site. This is why I think this is not a decision the CMS has to
make, but it has just to provide ways for the admin to configure the
backend in a way the most important stuff for the current site is easily
accessible.

> the "Create new
> record" function is hidden at the bottom of the page between "Create
> shortcut to page" and "Advanced Functions" such that some users might
> not even notice its existance.

Well, you probably haven't used "Actions", which are available on the
backend page that can be shown when a user logs in. You can create an
action to create news records, which would automatically place it inside
the page where you (the admin) decides.

I don't need the CMS making such shortcuts for me, because on another
site maybe not news but articles are important, so I just create a
different action for this.

> In Plone, you don't have to enter the date, your name, and email in
> every item because that data has default values (date=now,
> name+email=you). Of course, you can change those values by going to
> the "Properties" tab. What about using the same approach in TYPO3 and
> just move less important fields into an extra tab (many CMSes do it
> that way)?

This also can be done, see EXT:cron_setdefaultauthor. And you can even
configure which user sees which fields, so you can simplify news input
by removing any field that is not relevant to your setup.

Cheers,
Ernesto