[TYPO3-ect] Spring and Symfony

Robert Lemke robert at typo3.org
Sat Oct 13 13:40:56 CEST 2007

Hi Elmar,

Am 04.10.2007 um 09:44 schrieb Elmar Hinz:

> Spring
>
> The core idea of Spring is, to configure singletons and there
> relations by a
> configuration file.

I wouldn't boil down the concept of spring to this. However, one
essential part
of Spring is the IoC Container which takes control of the whole
lifecycle of
an object. Object relations are configurable which supports the
concept of
componentry.

Please also note that Singletons are evil, especially in combination
with unit testing.

> It is an implementation of the injection pattern. It
> simplifies unit testing. Objects can be quickly exchanged by
> changing the
> configuration file without the need to recompile at all.

yes, Dependency Injection is a very important feature for Unit Testing.

> To learn: Make all object relations configurable on the level of TS.

I don't think that it is either possible or makes sense trying to
implement
a Component Manager or IoC Container for TYPO3 4.x. Please don't. Better
invest your energy into 5.0 which already has these features.

> Apart from this spring is a very flexible framework that can be
> combined
> with other approches like XSLT, Struts, JSP etc. In this it is
> similar to
> lib, wich also can combined with other libs on nearly every level.

More importantly, Spring provides a framework for Aspect Oriented
Programming
which is essential for Domain Driven Design and clean implementation
of features
like persistence management etc.

Spring is very supportive when it comes to applying the Domain Model
pattern, which
is one of the core concepts of TYPO3 5.0 as well.

Cheers,
robert
--
http://typo3.org/gimmefive