[TYPO3-core] [Poll[ Integrate Speaking URLs in to TYPO3 CMS7

Tobias Liegl tliegl at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 09:45:51 CET 2015

Hi all,

from an end users point of view it is really important to have speaking urls in a cms. And I mean in an easy way with just one click to activate it. No searching if there is one, how to get it, and if it works with the current version you are using, or to think about if you can update your installation to the latest version (for which e. g. is no url rewriting available). Speaking urls are a basic requirement in every website. So why doesn't TYPO3 fullfil this requirement, when every other cms, framework, whatever out there has this functionality built-in? Is this what the "enterprise" label means?

In the end the users decide, if they will use TYPO3 or any other system for the next project. Everywhere you can read about a drop of market share of TYPO3 and everyone complains, that TYPO3 often looses against easy-to-setup-systems like wordpress. The development of v7 was announced with the addition of strong defaults and usability improvements to change that view again. I read that it was also a wish from the agency meetup days, to have speaking urls integrated in cms. So why not make it easier for all of us to use a functionality that's already there and listen to what the agencies want and need? Why sould TYPO3 wait another 3 years to have something usable in the core? I think nobody will use a half baked solution in production, if there is a full flegded alternative out there - even if it is hard to find and needs to be installed seperately.

Currently there is no better solution than integrating realurl into the core imho. It would work out of the box, minimizes the work on the agency/users side and lowers the barriers for new users (and we want them, no?). Maybe optimize the automatic configuration a little bit more for stronger defaults, but this step would be a big plus for the whole TYPO3 system.

So a +1 from me on integrating realurl!

Regards,
Tobi