[TYPO3-core] [Poll[ Integrate Speaking URLs in to TYPO3 CMS7

Christian Kuhn lolli at schwarzbu.ch
Wed Mar 18 15:12:15 CET 2015

Hey.

On 18.03.2015 14:03, Mathias Brodala wrote:
>     Including realurl now means:
>     * Having something that works from day 1 of a core release
>
> It already does and even independent from core releases. I don't see the
> point in moving realurl to the core here.

Nope. realurl with a (ugly) compat layer for 7.1 was just released last
week: More than 3 month after 7.0 release. During this time the
(perfectly maintained including active support from core team members)
official introduction distribution package failed to install. It threw
an exception that realurl dependency could not be resolved.
So no CMS 7 with a working frontend out of the box. And with current
compatibility settings in realurl it will fail with 7.2 again. I demand
having a *working* routing in master all the time. Now. It is an
absolute no-go to rely on a 3rd party package for an official
installation process to run successfully.

>     * If something else is developed or a path is laid, there will be
>     some kind of migration path towards this - supported by core.
>
> If realurl never was part of the core, no migration is necessary. Old
> code will have to be rewritten in any case and new code
> can just use the new solution. If the time comes, Dmitry or some else
> may create a migration from realurl to <fabulous-routing>
> but this is nothing that absolute has to be done and supported by the core.

I guess people will love us if we later maybe find better routing *and*
provide some layer to migrate old configuration out of the box. Also,
this enables us to shift slowly towards this solution in small steps. We
learned the hard way already that big steps don't work.

Regards
Christian