[TYPO3-core] [Poll[ Integrate Speaking URLs in to TYPO3 CMS7

Claus Due claus at phpmind.net
Sun Mar 15 21:11:31 CET 2015

Votes:

1) New routing component based on SF2 routing, with feature flag to toggle: yes.

2) Realurl as code extension: no.

Realurl can be installed from TER for the projects that need it. No core extensions depend on it. If a new version is required for compatibility and this is judged as a community goal, contributions can be directed toward maintaining the Realurl extension on TER while the proper routing component gets built.

(Rant mode: can we *please* stop puttin' extension after extension in the sysext folder and start using TER? Thank you!)

@Christian Kuhn: I think you maybe a bit too conservative on the estimates there. Also, I think that implementing a routing component does not necessarily have to happen in all the contexts you mention at the same time before it can be called usable. Generally speaking, collecting a "best of all" approach amounts to design by concensus and tends to end up in over-engineering. We may be better off creating this as a simple (relatively speaking) wrapping around SF2 routing which we implement in steps, bringing more and more contexts into our supported scope. Who's to say the initial version wouldn't be entirely adequate if it could only route languages, pages and Extbase controllers but had no TypoScript API? Why can't we create this in a way that has the same API whether you use it from TS, PHP or something else and create one API flavor at a time, starting with the lowest level (PHP)?

Essentially: we don't practically need a full fledged replacement for every single feature of Realurl as well as additional implementations for "best of all" cases. Much, much less would also be perfectly useful, and Realurl can still be shipped on TER for those that require the additional/legacy contexts.