[TYPO3-core] Preventing optionSplit in FILES

Christian Futterlieb christian at futterlieb.ch
Thu Jan 29 10:24:16 CET 2015

Hi Frans and Jo

Thanks for your feedbacks.

> One the one hand, this would solve your symptom, on the other hand, it would not remove the cause for that symptom. So IMHO we should make sure that objects having optionSplit will be nestable.
I totally agree with removing the cause instead of solving the symptom.
The question remains, how to achieve this, if not via typoscript config?
Because imo it is not possible to know 'automatically', when a split has
to be prevented and when not.

Therefor I'd go for a solution, that lets the integrator decide to
disable an optionSplit on a particular option.

> While this sounds easy, it might give you serious trouble especially when it comes to backwards compatibility, since people might be abuse the current behaviour already.
True. But if the approach was to optionally disable optionSplits,
nothing would change by default.

> Imo the proposed configuration looks strange and imo ads another level of magic to the typoscript rendering.
Yes, it does not look that good, but it meets following requirements:

1. must be on the exact same level (in ts) as where the optionSplit will
be done
2. must be able to describe one or more maybe nested properties

So the resulting config was inspired by stdWrap.replacement (as there
could be one or more replacements) and ArrayUtility::getValueByPath(). I
surely do not insist on the proposed configuration, it just seemed
logical to me ;-) .. and it describes the idea of the solution.

What do you think?

Regards, Christian