[TYPO3-core] Important update of guidelines

Markus Klein klein.t3 at reelworx.at
Wed Sep 17 12:17:05 CEST 2014

Dear TYPO3 CMS contributors!

As most of you have probably noticed, the Active Contributors Team has made some decisions regarding the workflow of Core contributions.
These decisions have been announced at [1]. Following these changes, we adopted the various guidelines accordingly.

The commit message format guideline [2] has been updated to reflect the new requirements for the Releases-line and the Documentation-line has been dropped in favour of [4].

The commit-msg hook for GIT/Gerrit - it checks the commit message and adds the change-id line - has been updated to properly check for the new commit message format.
I highly recommend to update the hook in your repositories ASAP [3].

The complete Extbase/Fluid Wiki pages at Forge have been moved to the official Wiki; this includes the breaking changes listing up to 6.2 [5].

Last but not least, I want to emphasize again that we strengthened rules for documentation; to summarize:
 * Any breaking change must have [!!!] prefixed in the commit message subject line
 * Any breaking change must INCLUDE a .rst file with a detailed description of the change, the impact and the migration steps
 * No Documentation-line necessary anymore in the commit message

A How-To is provided at [4].

[1] http://typo3.org/news/article/insights-from-the-typo3-cms-active-contributor-meetup-in-munich/
[2] http://wiki.typo3.org/CommitMessage_Format_%28Git%29
[3] http://wiki.typo3.org/Contribution_Walkthrough_with_CommandLine#Setting_up_your_environment