[TYPO3-core] Improving indexed_search - Helping Hand?

Georg Ringer typo3 at ringerge.org
Thu Sep 18 19:55:31 CEST 2014

Hi everybody,

during the latest meeting of Active Contributors in Munich [1]  we
discussed also how to proceed with a small feature of the TYPO3 CMS
which is called indexed_search.

We would like to make indexed_search nicer, easier to understand and
better to handle. Even though there are plenty other ways to implement a
search, there is still a reason for using indexed_search like having a
small website, no money/experience for solr, ...

The things I would like to achieve are:

* Improve the backend
------------------------
The UI can be improved a lot! Did you know that you can define stop
words there or use words as keywords without editing the page itself? :)

See [2] for details!

* Improve the frontend
------------------------
Currently there are 2 plugins available: The old pi1 one and the
experimental one using extbase. Both got their drawbacks and are not yet
finished.
The pi1 plugin will be dropped and the extbase based plugin must get
feature complete

* What is NOT planned
-----------------------
The plan is not to change the central logic of the search.

==================================

===> I NEED YOU !! <===

Coding alone is no fun and our review principle required also some more
eyes to check the changes.

* Do you wanna help improving indexed_search because e.g. some of your
customers need it and you hate the drawbacks of the current solution?
* Do you use indexed_search with features like metaphone and wanna
provide some dumps for double checking that the new solution will still
provide the same desired results? Of course the dump would be kept private!

If you wanna help, please step forward! That would be really awesome!

An umbrella task in forge [3] is used to collect all ideas. Don't
hesitate to check it out and add more.

All the best
Georg

[1]