[TYPO3-core] Removing feature of compressing and merging external files

Helmut Hummel helmut.hummel at typo3.org
Tue Jan 7 20:31:32 CET 2014

Hi Jigal,

On 07.01.14 16:29, Jigal van Hemert wrote:

> On 7-1-2014 15:34, Helmut Hummel wrote:

>> In how many client projects did you do so? What was the file you
>> integrated like that?
>
> IMO incorrect to make this personally. We all implemented things that we
> personally never needed and perhaps never will need.

Sorry. This was not meant personally. I'm asking the question seriously
if anybody used this feature in any project. If nobody uses it, why keep it?

> There is a use case and it is IMO valid (often it's advised to combine
> all CSS / JS to limit the number of requests).

I try again with a different question:

If you have a JS file (or in rare cases a CSS file) which is distributed
over a CDN, why would give up this benefit by delivering it over your
own server?

BTW: Limiting the number of requests is fine, but the sweet spot is not
*one* huge (CSS or JS) file to benefit from parallel downloads/ requests.

Kind regards,
Helmut

--
Helmut Hummel