[TYPO3-core] Removing feature of compressing and merging external files

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Tue Jan 7 16:29:09 CET 2014

Hi,

On 7-1-2014 15:34, Helmut Hummel wrote:
> On 07.01.14 14:07, Xavier Perseguers wrote:
>>> It also enables being able to serve just one JS file for your end
>>> users without having to import the file manually in case it’s updated
>>> on the remote server.
>
> In how many client projects did you do so? What was the file you
> integrated like that?

IMO incorrect to make this personally. We all implemented things that we
personally never needed and perhaps never will need.
There is a use case and it is IMO valid (often it's advised to combine
all CSS / JS to limit the number of requests).

>> and if you really want to
>> concatenate/compress then fetch it using some scheduler task on a
>> regular basis and then consider it as local.
>
> It is a one-liner which can be directly added to the crontab. A
> scheduler task would be more lines only because of the API to be fulfilled.

Programming a scheduler task or a crontab line is out of scope for an
integrator. We could remove half of the core and say that you can easily
program something for that functionality.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 CMS Active Contributor

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!