[TYPO3-core] feedit & feeditadvanced

Stefan Neufeind typo3.neufeind at speedpartner.de
Mon Feb 3 12:33:04 CET 2014

On 02/03/2014 12:24 PM, Christian Kuhn wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I'd like to raise a topic we've happily ignored since 4.5:
>
> With 4.5 there was quite some work on frontend editing,
> ext:feeditadvanced grew up at that time.
>
> feeditadvanced was never merged to the core and is not maintained in TER
> since 5/2011.
>
> Additionally we have ext:feedit still in core. It was the predecessor of
> feeditadvanced. git log shows that there was *very* little bugfix action
> in this area, 95% of patches are systematic cleanups applied to whole core.
>
> The whole frontend editing approach is a bit fragile, especially if not
> tested on a regular basis, and patches like [1] tend to break it without
> anyone thinking about the implications of the frontend editing approach.
>

> I see the following options:
>
> 1. Let ext:feedit rot in core as "probably broken if nobody fixes"
> extension and ignore it for 3 further years.
>
> 2. Some heroes shows up to fix feedit or merge and fix feeditadvanced to
> core until 6.2 release.
>
> 3. Drop feedit as not maintained extension from core. If asked, we
> answer that we currently have no solid frontend editing approach in our
> system since all previous attempts failed.
>

> Imho with 1. we do a wilful misrepresentation saying that we can do
> "real" frontend editing which is in fact not true, 2. will probably not
> happen, so I'd go for 3.
>
> What do you think?

I can't yet say how much work it would take for 2) (fix feeditadvanced,
integrate it).

Resigning and saying we don't have any working feediting (option 3) is
imho no real option, but of course always still a last resort.

I've been looking into playing with EXT:aloha for an upcoming project.
Screenshots in the docs look really promising and with the current
release they claim to have 6.x-support working now.
Although Georg Ringer is still named as lead there, the project
meanwhile moved on to Jozef Spisiak. I've just lately got in contact
with him and he would appreciate more contributions and is willing to
move that extension further.

Integrating something like EXT:aloha might be a little late in the
6.2-phase now (to be realistic). But imho it looks like a promising way
- also given the fact that Neos went the Aloha-way as well and that it
is a leightweight, eye-candy way of editing imho.

Kind regards,
 Stefan