[TYPO3-core] feedit & feeditadvanced

Christian Kuhn lolli at schwarzbu.ch
Mon Feb 3 12:24:34 CET 2014

Hey,

I'd like to raise a topic we've happily ignored since 4.5:

With 4.5 there was quite some work on frontend editing,
ext:feeditadvanced grew up at that time.

feeditadvanced was never merged to the core and is not maintained in TER
since 5/2011.

Additionally we have ext:feedit still in core. It was the predecessor of
feeditadvanced. git log shows that there was *very* little bugfix action
in this area, 95% of patches are systematic cleanups applied to whole core.

The whole frontend editing approach is a bit fragile, especially if not
tested on a regular basis, and patches like [1] tend to break it without
anyone thinking about the implications of the frontend editing approach.

I see the following options:

1. Let ext:feedit rot in core as "probably broken if nobody fixes"
extension and ignore it for 3 further years.

2. Some heroes shows up to fix feedit or merge and fix feeditadvanced to
core until 6.2 release.

3. Drop feedit as not maintained extension from core. If asked, we
answer that we currently have no solid frontend editing approach in our
system since all previous attempts failed.

Imho with 1. we do a wilful misrepresentation saying that we can do
"real" frontend editing which is in fact not true, 2. will probably not
happen, so I'd go for 3.

What do you think?

Regards
Christian