[TYPO3-core] (New) TYPO3 CMS Vision

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Sat Aug 30 15:36:27 CEST 2014

Hi,

On 30-8-2014 9:08, Mathias Schreiber wrote:
> Quote: Philipp Gampe (pgampe) wrote on Fri, 29 August 2014 23:45
>
>> Playing out the advocatus diaboli a bit more:
>> How is going to develop the real real projects and users, if the
>> developers are not happy ;)

First of all: it will amaze people what makes a developer happy. This
differs very much from developer to developer. Some get a kick from
creating really clean code, others thrive on creating cool features and
yet others like to see the people who use their code/product happy.

A lack of feedback or possibility to give feedback on solved issues
isn't going to help the motivation of the latter group of developers.

[...]
> Let coders focus on developer happiness.
> Thus coders are part of the "Architectural Vision of TYPO3 CMS".
>
> UX people should care about editor happiness.
> So they are part of the "Editor Vision of TYPO3 CMS".
>
> The hardest part is the one in between.
> Product managers should try to convince coders that UX scheme XYZ is
> important for the development (not code wise, but market wise) of the
> PRODUCT.

Our community doesn't have product managers. While it's true that no-one
can force any volunteer to develop anything (in a company there is the
matter of employer-employee relationship) I think that plans for larger
features are likely to trigger some developers to actually create them.
Alternatively, if the actual users of the product really like to have
one of those features and no developer is willing to create it in their
own time some way of funding it might be the solution.

Robert Lemke tried to initiate a Product Board which would (as far as I
understood the concept) act as a product manager. It would come up with
the concepts of the product of the future. (The reasons why it never
became reality is history)

Without a product manager we have to figure out for ourselves what is
needed in the years ahead of us. The Association is already asking
agencies about this and the rest of the community can put their opinion
in this thread.
After collecting all wishes and ideas we might be able to create a
concept of what the community sees as the future of TYPO3 CMS.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 CMS Active Contributor

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!