[TYPO3-core] (New) TYPO3 CMS Vision

Mathias Schreiber mathias.schreiber at wmdb.de
Sat Aug 30 09:08:25 CEST 2014

Quote: Philipp Gampe (pgampe) wrote on Fri, 29 August 2014 23:45

> Playing out the advocatus diaboli a bit more:
> How is going to develop the real real projects and users, if the developers
> are not happy ;)

I guess you meant "who" instead of "how", right?

I thought about how to put this into words until 4am so no one would feel offended.

Think you own a company.
You have customers who pay you for your product.
These customers ALWAYS come first (because they pay your bills, they feed your employees, they feed your baby).

As some might know, I like analogies a lot :)
I give a f**k of how easy it is for the mechanic to fix my car.
I want a car that does its job and is fun to drive.
My soon-to-be wife obviously differs on the fun part, she wants a car that is relaxing to drive.

But the priority list is clear.
- Customer
- nothing
- nothing
- nothing
- nothing
- Mechanic

Don't get me wrong, I do not say that architecture doesn't matter.
It does.
But building a car that noone buys puts you out of business.
It's as simple as that.

Since this topic pops up EVERY SINGLE TIME and takes us nowhere here's my suggestion:
Let's split the fields or responsibility.
Otherwise we will get stuck in an infinite loop of discussion.
for the techs:
[code]
$numberOfCodersCaringForEditors = 0;
while($numberOfCodersCaringForEditors < $numberOfCodersNeededForEditorHapiness) {
    $this->letsTurnInCircles(true);
}
[/code]

Yes, I do not increment the counter ;-)

But lets put fun aside:
Coders don't tend to have editor happiness in mind - at least they show it.... sparsely?
Let coders focus on developer happiness.
Thus coders are part of the "Architectural Vision of TYPO3 CMS".

UX people should care about editor happiness.
So they are part of the "Editor Vision of TYPO3 CMS".

The hardest part is the one in between.
Product managers should try to convince coders that UX scheme XYZ is important for the development (not code wise, but market wise) of the PRODUCT.

TBH I don't care if coders add something that makes their lifes easier.
Let them do that, it's just fine - as long as they don't hinder with the development of the product.

In general... noone should hinder the development of the product itself - so the rules apply to UX people as well.

What do you all think (not just Phillip, I just took his post as a reference point and do not mean him in person)?