[TYPO3-core] (New) TYPO3 CMS Vision

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Fri Aug 29 12:45:39 CEST 2014

Hi all,

I have been silent so far, mostly because I am not so implied anymore
and I feel reluctant to be involved in large debates.

I agree with the opinion that recent development of TYPO3 CMS has been
driven more by developers than by a wish to improve users' lives.
Obviously many structural improvements happened under the hood which
make the Core easier to maintain. OTOH very complex APIs like FAL have
been introduced with little to no documentation, which have been a
source of countless additional bugs, even though they are very nice from
a conceptual point of view.

Being more a developer than a user or an integrator, I enjoy working
with 6.2, as I can produce much better structured code. However I am
still sometimes a user and I regret that so little improvements have
been brought to that area. A long-time user of TemplaVoilà, I recently
had to pick up projects from other agencies, which used the traditional
Page module. Its usability is really inferior, especially when it comes
to translation handling (although I am not expecting miracles for a site
with 30+ languages).

As a web agency employee, as an extension developer, I can live happily
with 6.2 for several years. I feel no calling for a new major version
anytime soon. Instead I wish there were far fewer bugs. So that's my vision:

- improved usability
- stabilize the product, which means a) no new major API changes and b)
fix as many bugs as possible
- deliver that within the 6.2 LTS scheme, no new major version for a while

Cheers

--

Francois Suter

Work: Cobweb Development Sarl - http://www.cobweb.ch