[TYPO3-core] Second Meeting for TYPO3 6.2 LTS Release

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Mon May 27 12:13:51 CEST 2013

Hi,

>> Nevertheless I think it is worth solving this problem instead of
>> bringing back in_from_ver() to GeneralUtility as by that we virtually
>> never can get rid of it.
>
> "never" is not true, because we then simply delete it again in 6.3.
> People have been warned enough already.
>
> Extensions aiming for 6.3 (and later) compatibility will not care about
> 4.x/4.5 compatibility anymore. People will "branch" their extensions in
> order to keep 4.x support separate from 6.x and later support.
>
> 6.2 is just "special" because many will be "just upgrading" to a new
> generation code and their development team are not yet ready to cope
> with branching extensions and supporting multiple branches at the same
> time (but some will of course do so already). Not to speak of TER which
> does not support branching of extensions just yet.
>
> I'd like to hear more opinions on Helmut's solution, as it could be a
> fundamental decision regarding these kind of decisions in future.

We should think about what we want with 6.2 LTS and I'd say following
points:

- Smooth upgrade from 4.5 LTS (and newer versions of course)

What does it mean?

- Extensions used in 4.5 should be "ready for 6.2"

How do to that?

- Make sure widely used extensions are ready, ideally compatible with
both 4.5 and 6.2 (in order to upgrade extensions first, check it still
runs, then upgrade core)

	=> gather a list of such extensions
	=> contact authors, help them if needed

- Do our best for other (public) extensions and private extensions

	=> beware of what that means (we just cannot ensure this)
	=> write articles, buzz around it, find solutions working both in 4.x
and 6.2
	=> this is where a line should be drawn

If int_from_ver is the sole problem to be compatible with 6.2, why not
release an extension targeted at 4.5 allowing people to "upgrade" their
code for upcoming support of 6.2 instead of adding back deprecated code
in 6.2? Or even one step further, adding (!) a few important methods in
4.5 for the sake of the LTS and ease the move to 6.2.

I probably would not backport to 4.7 because people using 4.7 or 6.0/6.1
are already in the spirit of being compatible with upcoming releases are
did not "wait and see".

--
Xavier Perseguers
Release Manager TYPO3 4.6