[TYPO3-core] Target Versions in TYPO3 CMS Issue Tracker

Ernesto Baschny ernesto.baschny at typo3.org
Tue May 21 17:11:45 CEST 2013

Hi Alexander,

Alexander Opitz schrieb am 21.05.2013 15:30:

> I'm against this plan and I like more the Neos style which Robert Lemke
> posted today to the Neos list.

Thanks for the pointer, I just answered Robert's post.

What he describes in "essence" is what we have already been trying for
years in TYPO3 CMS and it's clearly not working out. It's just too much
additional work noone wants to do. See my reply to Robert for more details.

> I don't see the point where target "6.2 General" and "6.2 Logging", ...
> will help us.

This was just an optional idea that could be tried out. The idea is to
have the topics having separate Roadmaps here:

http://forge.typo3.org/projects/typo3v4-core/roadmap

Instead of just "one big" 6.2 roadmap, you could then more finegrained
see how are our main topics doing. I would start with just one "6.2"
roadmap, as I already replied to Francois.

> The main problem will resist, that we can't mark an issue
> fixed on different releases (6.2.0, 6.1.3, 6.0.7), which seems an issue
> with redmine.

This is by concept in Redmine, and I doubt that we will ever be able to
change that.

But on the other hand we already have the script which generates this
information [3].

This will be moved soon to a more "official" base (tools.typo3.org) and
then we could add a REST interface to query for the status of individual
issues, which could later on be integrated as a "widget" in the Issue
Tracker itself.

> As agency/integrator it is not nice to consult a issue tracker and a
> ChangeLog to find out if an issue is fixed in a version in one branch.

You consult only the Release Notes [3] (or the git commit log).

You cannot consult the issue tracker for this, because we don't actually
actively record this information there! For example, if you filter for
"Target Version = 6.0.5" and compare the list of issues actually
released [3] you will quickly notice that they are way out of sync (and
also several "not closed" issues along the way)!

If you have a particular interest in a "bug" in specific ("was it
backported, and when?"), you can always consult the "merged in core"
script [4].

> So I would like to vote for a change in redmine to get a multiselect for
> the "Target Version". So also every RM can pick a fix for his own roadmap.

That's not just something we can "vote for the change", because Redmine
doesn't support this feature. See these discussions [1] [2]. It's not
going nowhere, I suppose.

Regards,
Ernesto

[1] http://www.redmine.org/issues/1266