[TYPO3-core] Proposal for the upcoming Roadmap and LTS

Oliver Hader oliver.hader at typo3.org
Fri Mar 15 14:01:59 CET 2013

Hi François,

Am 13.03.13 15:38, schrieb François Suter:
> Hi,
>
>> I can't write about something that is not decided yet. What do you
>> suggest?
>
> Sure, I understand. I guess it was my way of complaining that nothing
> has been decided yet. There have been lots of talks and suggestions, and
> Olly was supposed to submit some kind of draft to foster discussion
> here. In the meantime we have no global vision of how to handle big
> changes in 6.1 and 6.2. I still maintain that we should try to avoid
> them as much as possible, to make it easier to upgrade from 4.5 to 6.2.
> Look at how extension developers have trouble coping with TYPO3 releases.

The basic intention of that article was to (finally) give a statement
and answer the question of "will there be another LTS version" and how
the maintenance periods are changed (away from back-port everything to
the priority bug-fixing principle).

Talking about TYPO3 CMS 7.0 needs some more preparation and needs to
outline the consequences, it's easy to define something, but I like they
way of thinking about that first in detail and transform the results
into suggestions.

I just want to avoid big and endless discussions on ideas without having
mentioned the concrete possibilities and consequences.

>> I guess people will understand it. What would you write instead? 6.3?
>> 7.0? We didn't decide about it yet...
>
> True, but I fear this may raise a lot of questions. Maybe the article
> should have at least mentioned that beyond 6.2 is undecided.

Well, it is decided, it's not decided whether "6.2+1" means "6.3" or
"7.0". So, there was a decision last year in November/December 2012 to
announce that exactly this way. Now I'm puzzled that you mention that
this decision was the wrong way. Where to draw the line and how to avoid
that decisions get accepted?

Back to your topic of 6.1/6.2 and bigger changes:

We (Michael, you and me) had a Skype call during the T3BOARD13 times and
talked about the release cycle in general and how to put focus on
stability and bug-fixes in 6.x and at the same time focus on development
and innovation in a parallel 7.0 branch.

So, this dossier is not closed, but is a different and new discussion.
Helmut and Christian are meeting in person this weekend to brainstorm
and discuss about future strategies for TYPO3 CMS. Thus, it's still hot
and active, but needs some more time to get concrete results we can
discuss about. The question always should be "what problems do we need
to resolve and how?"...

Cheers,
Olly
--