[TYPO3-core] The new logging API and the sys_log table

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Fri Mar 8 13:28:30 CET 2013

Hi all,

I'm currently adding a chapter to Core APIs about the logging API
introduced in TYPO3 6.0 and I am puzzled about the DatabaseWriter.

By default it writes to the "sys_log" table and new fields were added to
that table to accommodate the data from the Logger, but all existing
fields are left empty. The result is that if you write some stuff to the
sys_log using the DatabaseWriter, those records will not be visible in
the "Log" BE module, because they miss crucial information (like a
tstamp, for example).

Isn't this weird? Should we have some form of mapping, which would make
it possible to map a log entry's fields to variable DB fields when
trying to write to some existing table? I fail to see the point of
writing to the sys_log table if the entries cannot be read by the tool
that exists precisely to read that table. And I don't think that belog
should be changed to accommodate a double DB structure, as it would
really mess the repository.

What do you think?

Cheers

--