[TYPO3-core] PHP version requirement

Ernesto Baschny ernesto.baschny at typo3.org
Fri Mar 8 10:07:02 CET 2013

Stefan Reichelt schrieb am 08.03.2013 09:12:
> Hello everyone,
>
> please don't go back requiring some oldass version because of the
> timewasting backport policies of some.
>
> I see TYPO3 6.x as 'nextgen' (at least in the TYPO3 market anyway :) )
> and as such I understand that if you want to use modern techniques you
> also need modern technologies. If you want fullout long term stability
> it is not your version and you are better of with the LTS (which is a
> point of the LTS concept anyway?).
>
> I suppose by the time the next LTS comes around this whole 'discussion'
> won't be a problem anymore. Until then, given how our world works, a
> conflict between the wanted-version and the has-version was bound to
> happen anyway.

As long as we have "versions" (also PHP) we will always have this
"problem" and will always have these kind of discussions.

Karsten said he is "looking forward tp the day I can drop those
workarounds". Well, sorry to tell you: the solutions you are building
now based on "latest stable" PHP 5.3 (or even 5.4) will probably look
awkward as soon as we have new possibilities in PHP 5.5 or later in a
couple of years. It will also make you cry and weight the cost/benefits
of keeping or getting rid of "those old workarounds", and the
discussions will be held again.

I see that this is a natural thing that we won't get rid of. At least it
helps us (and the users) having a clear backwards compatibility policy
and talking about it. The product(s) we are creating are made up of
compromises - which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Cheers,
Ernesto

--
Ernesto Baschny