[TYPO3-core] PHP version requirement

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Sun Mar 3 18:58:32 CET 2013

> Who said it was "ignored so easily"? Take a look at that
> before-5.3.7-compatibility class. The crazy rewriting was create just to
> work around the PHP bug. A lot of time was spent to find a fix for the
> include issue, but if you can't find a solution and many later versions
> (we're now at 5.3.22!) don't have that issue there comes moment when you
> have to choose between not including a compatibility layer at all, not
> doing the namespace operation at all and setting a requirement version.

Well - according to our guidelines the correct way would have been:

1. Find out that there are issues with the way versions up to 4.7
supported XCLASSing, hooks, interfaces and namespacing with PHP <= 5.3.3
2. deprecate these methods in 6.0 and inform developers about their
removal in 6.2
3. postpone the desired namespacing changes to version 6.2
4. make PHP 5.3.7 a requirement for 6.2 but not for 6.0
5. Maybe think about having an LTS version _before_ implementing the
namespacing changes, so that larger projects could rely on that version
while the rest could still have cutting edge stuff.

The problem many developers and users got with how things are currently
handled in the core team is, that it seems there is a gap between the
way some core devs think things should be working and the real life
scenarios, especially admins still have to deal with.

Especially in enterprise environments you won't always get the cutting
edge version of your favorite OS, PHP and other necessary software. This
is due to the fact that there are many other pieces of software running
in the same environment on umpteen thousands of servers and
workstations, with some of them taking Millions of Euros to have them
working on latest OS versions. This is something that must be taken into
account _before_ implementing major changes to the core of a CMS that
claims to play on enterprise level.

Just my 2 cents

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian