[TYPO3-core] PHP version requirement

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Fri Mar 1 21:58:41 CET 2013

Hi,

On 1-3-2013 17:02, Michael Stucki wrote:
>> the official requirement is 5.3.7 as this is what the Release Team
>> decided they will support.
>> We know that we have implemented an Compatibility working around the
>> Bugs of PHP before 5.3.7. As this Layer cannot fix all issues which
>> might come up and we did not want to support it the official requirement
>> was set to 5.3.7;
>
> I think that shouldn't be ignored so easily, but never mind.

Who said it was "ignored so easily"? Take a look at that
before-5.3.7-compatibility class. The crazy rewriting was create just to
work around the PHP bug. A lot of time was spent to find a fix for the
include issue, but if you can't find a solution and many later versions
(we're now at 5.3.22!) don't have that issue there comes moment when you
have to choose between not including a compatibility layer at all, not
doing the namespace operation at all and setting a requirement version.

> Thanks, that was the missing part. I took that and just reported the
> issue at Debian: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=702004
>
> At least, good that 6.0 is not an LTS release. IMHO Debian support is a
> must have requirement for TYPO3...

Tell the Debian people to make packages for original PHP versions and
release up-to-date versions. That would make life a lot easier.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 Core Team member

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!