[TYPO3-core] RFC: Integrate Doctrine2 into TYPO3 CMS

Tolleiv Nietsch tolleiv.nietsch at typo3.org
Sun Jan 27 09:23:47 CET 2013

Hi,

I doubt that this could be integrated in 6.x without loosing all
existing hooks in tcemain/DataHandler or any other data-related Core class.

The benefit to have a solid ORM layer in the core would be big, but at
the same time this reads for me like rewriting tons of extremely
important "enterprise" extensions like workspaces, l10nmgr,
languagevisibility, ... to name a few. Somebody would have to take care
of the record history / rollback handling and fully rewrite that too.
Writing good and solid migration scripts would take very long and with
the dropped support for "ext_upgrade" in the new EM, extensions wouldn't
even have the chance to ship any migrations.

I'd suggest to not put that on the 6.x agenda for Core integration and
rather think of it for 7.x or later versions. In general the effort
seems very big ("integrating" it might be done fast but that's only the
first 10% of the work) and without a proper general product agenda ...
nevermind.

Why exactly did we start rewriting the entire system 7 years ago?

Cheers,
Tolleiv

--
Tolleiv Nietsch