[TYPO3-core] Autoclose core issues after inactivity

Oliver Hader oliver.hader at typo3.org
Sat Feb 23 12:50:09 CET 2013

Hi Tom,

Am 21.02.13 14:02, schrieb Thomas Maroschik:
> Hi,
>
> I want to propose and discuss an option to cope with the overwhelming
> amount of open issues in the issue tracker. Could a autoclose bot be
> introduced that reminds authors of issues that the issue hasn't been
> updated since 60 days and will be closed automatically in 30 days unless
> the issue will be updated.
>
> The linked changes could be also abadonned automatically with a notice
> that this happend due to inactivity.
>
> This behaviour would be a clear communication guideline and clean up the
> issue tracker and review system.
>
> What do you think?

Thanks for the suggestion that has been discussed in earlier times
already infrequently.

1) Autoclosing Issues

As others mentioned already, closing issues without any further analysis
just because an issue is (very) old leads to a loss of information and
investigation that has been put into a (still) valid topic and problem.
Thus, I'm against (-1) to using autoclose after a given period.

The tasks of the Friendly Ghost [1] already cover
* checking new bug reports for a first triage and might lead to closing
  bugs if it is a duplicate or request for further feedback it it's not
  really clear (and thus to closing the bug if no feedback was provided)
* checking some of the (very) old bugs and update or close them
  accordingly to the current status in the current versions

2) Reminders for Reviews

It's valid thing to send reminder comments to changes on
review.typo3.org to get attention again. This should not happen not on a
daily basis, but one reminder per week is fine and hopefully does not
result in too many weeks.
Back in the old Core List time, when (only) RFCs have been discussed and
reviewed here, it was basically the same to to raise attention for a
particular fix.

Thus, I agree that using reminders is fine (+1).

Cheers,
Olly

[1] http://forge.typo3.org/projects/typo3v4-core/wiki/FriendlyGhost
--