[TYPO3-core] Autoclose core issues after inactivity

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Fri Feb 22 10:05:06 CET 2013

Hi,

Below my personal opinions.

On 21-2-2013 14:02, Thomas Maroschik wrote:
> I want to propose and discuss an option to cope with the overwhelming
> amount of open issues in the issue tracker.

Friendly Ghosts already check issues which "Need Feedback" and haven't
received an answer in more than 90 days. Most of these issues are closed
because they need information and the reporter doesn't provide it.

We could set issues older than X years (two years?) to "Needs feedback",
add a comment to ask the reporter if it is still valid.
That way these issues will enter the Friendly Ghost cycle.
Of course this needs to be done in batches to prevent one 'lucky' Ghost
to get an overload of issues to process.

> Could a autoclose bot be
> introduced that reminds authors of issues that the issue hasn't been
> updated since 60 days and will be closed automatically in 30 days unless
> the issue will be updated.

Friendly Ghosts already look at Needs Feedback issues without reply for
90 days.
For other new issues we should have any "New" issues after the Friendly
Ghost had a look. Either an issue is accepted (valid), needs feedback
(more information needed), rejected (invalid) or closed (duplicate, etc.)
Issues in other (sub)projects cannot always be updated due to rights
issues, or the Ghost lacks knowledge. But this should be managed by the
(sub)project team anyway.

> The linked changes could be also abadonned automatically with a notice
> that this happend due to inactivity.

If an issue has a patch pending for review, it should not be closed.
It's a problem of the review and needs to solved by reviewing or
abandoning the change.

Auto-abandoning patches is also not something I would do lightly. A
patch means that someone has put effort into solving it. No reviews or
even a few -1 doesn't say anything about the patch itself.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 Core Team member

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!