[TYPO3-core] Review system woes

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Sat Feb 16 12:55:07 CET 2013

Hi Olly,

> Some possible solutions at this time:
>
> * Review Days: Benni already started an initiative similar to previous
>    Bug Days to basically concentrate on reviews instead on bug fixes.
>    The scheduled date is *Friday,February 22nd 2013*  and open for all

I propose a far more radical solution: we halt all development until we
have reached zero pending patches in Gerrit. Anyway the objective of 6.1
is "improvement". What better way than to have given a final answer
(merged or abandoned) to every pending patch? What else is more
important? I'm sure everyone will appreciate a "stabilization" release
after all the recent rush of changes (just look at the number of
extensions which are still not compatible with 6.0).

> * Change in Core Team Structure: Since the community is flexible, the
>    permissions ("commit/submit karma") needs to be flexible as well, thus
>    there are plans to restructure the current scenario and as one effect,
>    give more power to active (long-term) contributors. A detailed draft
>    on that will follow - but let's do it step-by-step and not all at once

Yes, yes, yes, bring that on quickly. The recent fight over Christian's
patch has raised the priority of this to critical IMO. We lack vision,
we lack strategy, the rather hands-off leadership you exerted has shown
its limits. We need a smaller, more dedicated, more active Core Team,
which gives the community and in particular the active contributors a
sense of where we are heading.

Let me make a strong statement: I think that the Core Team in its
current form is as good as dead. There's no vision for the product,
little or no communication, weak leadership and awfully little
cooperation between members. Let's restructure it, rebuild it and make
it shine again, because we have a wonderful group of nice and skillful
people!

As a side note I feel a bit bad about saying "we" here, since my recent
involvement has been with the Doc Team rather than the Core Team. But I
wanted to express my feelings, because I still care :-)

Cheers

--

Francois Suter