[TYPO3-core] Bug / Review Day

Benjamin Mack benni at typo3.org
Sat Feb 9 05:08:44 CET 2013

Hey devs,

as you might have following certain announcements and/or release team
meeting minutes, and the recent posts here, we noticed that there are a
lot of active contributors out there fixing bugs, and improving the
core. However we'd rather code than seriously like to review others work
all the time. Well, at least that's how I feel. ;-)

Anyway, we had a discussion about this last week. The monthly "Bug Days"
we had a couple of years ago, were a great way to work on bugs together
and have them reviewed right away. Team Work! Bug Days were the days
where everybody who could join and take the time would fix one or more
bugs and submit it to the review process (Core list or whatever it was
then :)).

My plan is to revive these bug days, but this time it's not about
bugfixing but about REVIEWING the pending issues so that we have a clean
slate again - basically that's what the time management nerds would call
"Zero Inbox" - just for our pending reviews in Gerrit. This of course
only works if all of us, the contributors, commit ourselves to get this
done (just like Robert mentioned the "Boy Scouts way" in his post
yesterday).

So, we could call them "Review Day" (or keep the Bug Day - still
undecided on that) and we would meet at IRC or maybe some guys in real
life and start reviewing. And to ensure that it's not just "we will see
if anyone shows up", Olly and I agreed on that at least one of us will
be fully available the whole day, dedicated to review, discuss reviews,
merge etc. So it's a start... :)

I have either the fridays in mind or the saturdays, which one of you
fits better:

Fri, Feb 22nd.
Thu, March 28th. (Good Friday is the next day)
Fri, April 26th.

Sat, Feb 23rd.
Sat, March 30th.
Sat, April 27th.

If we see progress (less open issues in Gerrit), I don't see a problem
to extend it to the end of the year.

So if we can decide on the day of the week, I'd love to announce it
"officially".

All the best,
Benni.