[TYPO3-core] New features and css_styled_content static templates?

Ernesto Baschny [cron] ernst at cron-it.de
Wed Aug 28 11:11:02 CEST 2013

Am 2013-08-28 00:06, schrieb JoH asenau:
> Am 27.08.2013 21:41, schrieb François Suter:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> My patch introducing a categories-based page menu [1] is nearly good
>> (lacking only an active member's +1 by testing), but it raised one
>> general question: this feature needs new TypoScript in the static
>> template provided by css_styled_content for its rendering. Although this
>> will be a new feature of 6.2, should the rendering TS be added also to
>> older static templates? After all it is perfectly possible to run a
>> given TYPO3 version with older static templates.
>>
>> Do we have a policy for this? If not, what should I do?
>
> Hi François.
>
> Since this is not about backporting stuff to older TYPO3 versions but
> adding it to static templates being compatible to them, I think it
> should be OK to add it there as well.
>
> But it should only be done, when the patch does not change or remove
> existing stuff but adds something new, since otherwise the compatibility
> might be broken.
>
> Even people who added a menu type 9 with a completely different purpose
> should not run into problems though, since they had to override/add
> stuff of the original static template anyway, which shoud still be
> working even after applying your patch.

+1 to that.

The compatibility static tempaltes are not meant to be "untouchable",
their reason is to make the "rendering look the same as in an older
version". So if we add new features, we could / should add them to the
compatibility static templates also.

Although meanwhile after >7 years of having these compatibility
templates I must confess that I've never used them, as usually we just
want to move over and adapt the typoscript / css for the frontend while
upgrading anyway.

Cheers,
Ernesto