[TYPO3-core] Official information about the upcoming LTS version

Stefan Neufeind typo3.neufeind at speedpartner.de
Thu Sep 20 15:50:08 CEST 2012

On 09/20/2012 03:11 PM, Tolleiv Nietsch wrote:
> Hi
>
> Jigal van Hemert schrieb:
>>
>> Furthermore I'm still not convinced that we should have a LTS version at
>> all. The only reason so far is that clients like it because they don't
>> have to pay for major upgrades for a long time (a.k.a. stability).
>
> Actually from asking our project managers I understood more the money
> savings aren't the only argument, "LTS" itself is a good (^= working)
> marketing claim. LTS seems to suggest more stability to them. Just like
> "6.0" claimed "more" development compared to "4.8" ;) Technically quite
> questionable but if that keeps them moving towards TYPO3 ;)

And then you'll have to sell them that 6.0 is not what they want but
that 6.2 might possibly become a next LTS. Well okay, never trust a
dot-zero-release in terms of stability - but ...

If less headaches and discussions about what goes into 4.5 (and actually
doing it) means devs are more engaged to actually work on getting stuff
cleaned up and getting extensions to work with new releases without
breaking too bad, then that might work out.
But currently for bigger projects I favor LTS more than tracking down
all things that regularly break.

Kind regards,
 Stefan