[TYPO3-core] Official information about the upcoming LTS version

Tolleiv Nietsch tolleiv.nietsch at typo3.org
Thu Sep 20 14:06:23 CEST 2012

Hi,

Michael Stucki schrieb:
> Well, Firefox and Chrome ain't "most". I still prefer to take Ubuntu as
> an example, who are doing it very similar to us.

But the Ubuntu versioning schema depends on the <year> and <month> of
the release and it doesn't show any relation to our choice for the
version names. So what would you draw from it other than that every 4th
release is LTS?

Anyways - I just made a small "survey" among the AOE project managers
and they confirmed that "LTS" is at least important to sell the
software. Even clients who didn't receive "LTS" in the end, used the
existence of it to convince themselves to use TYPO3. From what I see (in
our company), it doesn't seem many of our projects sticking with LTS in
the end, I'd say that's mainly due to the fact that upgrades are quite
easy. Would be interesting to hear from other agencies.

Anyway (to go a little offtopic) - what I still dislike is that the 6.2
LTS version could be followed by a 6.3 version. Imho this version
shouldn't be named "6.2" but "6.5" to have a strong relation to the old
LTS and it should ideally be followed by "7.0".

In addition as already pointed out, I really dislike that the 6month
release cycle topic is questioned again and again.

Cheers,
Tolleiv

--
Tolleiv Nietsch