[TYPO3-core] Language fallback problems in 4.5 - 6.0

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Sun Sep 9 19:07:22 CEST 2012

Hi,

There is an old (5 years old) problem with the config.sys_language_mode
= content_fallback setting, menus and the page title.
In the mean time there are of course multiple issues about this and at
the moment work is going on with two of them.

First we have #17354 [1]. There is a patch which is far from backwards
compatible. This is not surprising because fixing it will break the
current (incorrect) behaviour. It currently creates new API functions
and a new setting. The patch is only targeted for 6.0, so 4.5-4.7 will
stay broken.

The second issue is #19114 [2]. There is a patch which does not fix
everything, but it does not involve new settings and API changes.

The problem is a nasty one regarding the way to fix it. Sites probably
are used to the current, incorrect, behaviour and will break if it is
fixed. Furthermore it needs to be fixed in 4.5 - 6.0

My idea is that instead of the new API functions and new configuration
setting we could have a new option to switch between the old, incorrect
behaviour and the new, correct behaviour. For 6.0 and fresh
installations of 4.5-4.7 this switch should be for the new behaviour as
default and for bugfix-release upgrades it should be for the old
behaviour as default.
In the Install Tool / Upgrade Wizard we could let the integrator make a
choice for this switch and deprecate it immediately.

What do you think?

[1] http://forge.typo3.org/issues/17354
[2] http://forge.typo3.org/issues/19114

--