[TYPO3-core] Translation 'en' missing

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Wed Oct 31 16:16:03 CET 2012

Hi,

The whole idea about handling translations of labels, etc. is that
English is the default language. (That is not the case for content; then
any language can be the default.)

If a label cannot be found in the current language the one in the
default language will be used. For TYPO3 4.6 and later you can even
setup a fallback chain and add custom backend languages, etc.

So, for 'en' there is no translation in the labels and thus the default
language will be used, which is exactly what most people expect.

On 31-10-2012 15:29, Daniel Alder wrote:
> plus:
> so what is the meaning of using the l10n structure for frontend
> extensions? it's allowed to add a translation 'dk' for example. but no
> 'en' translations? ...so on every extension update i have to
> re-translate the english part if I am not happy with the "original"
> labels from the developer? wasn't it the meaning of l10n to add
> translations to a "save place". ...why do i put languages like 'dk' in
> the l10n folder at all? ...in this case I have to change the original
> locallang file in the extension folder anyway, because it's the only
> possibility to change an english label. so why i should use the l10n? i
> can do the whole translation there.

A whole lot of questions and assumptions.

You can override labels in various ways. Some are available in
TypoScript (for frontend use) using something like:
plugin.tx_myext_pi1._LOCAL_LANG.default {
   label = text
}
or use the language code instead of 'default'.

Other methods can be used to replace entire locallang files.

I think you can find a lot of information in:
http://xavier.perseguers.ch/tutoriels/typo3/articles/managing-localization-files.html

And no, don't change the locallang files inside the translation or even
inside the download translations. Read Xavier's article and you'll know
how to customize any label you feel like for your customers.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 Core Team member

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!