[TYPO3-core] How to refer to TYPO3_CONF_VARS in the documentation (since v6.0)

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Thu Nov 29 21:32:01 CET 2012

Hi all,

Version 6.0 of TYPO3 CMS brought big changes to the handling of
TYPO3_CONF_VARS. In the Documentation Team we are faced with updating
the documentation with regards to that (among many other topics), but we
are not sure how to write about this, partly because none of us has yet
really toyed with 6.0.

Thus we would like the opinion of other Core members, in particular the
RM team, about this.

Let's take a typical sentence from a manual:

"[...]please set $TYPO3\_CONF\_VARS['SYS']['encryptionKey'] to a unique
and secret key[...]"

There's no particular information about where to set that parameter. Of
course it can be done from the Install Tool, but the localconf.php could
also be edited manually. Questions:

1) can LocalConfiguration.php still be edited manually? If yes, are
there limits to what you can do (adding, editing, deleting configuration
options)?

2) LocalConfiguration.php does not explicitly mention TYPO3_CONF_VARS
anymore. How should we refer to that then?

I hope someone can clear some of the confusion.

Cheers

--

Francois Suter