[TYPO3-core] How to refer to TYPO3_CONF_VARS in the documentation (since v6.0)

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Thu Nov 29 21:49:17 CET 2012

Hi Francois,

my ideas around this:

François Suter schrieb am 29.11.2012 21:32:
> Hi all,
>
> Version 6.0 of TYPO3 CMS brought big changes to the handling of
> TYPO3_CONF_VARS. In the Documentation Team we are faced with updating
> the documentation with regards to that (among many other topics), but we
> are not sure how to write about this, partly because none of us has yet
> really toyed with 6.0.
>
> Thus we would like the opinion of other Core members, in particular the
> RM team, about this.
>
> Let's take a typical sentence from a manual:
>
> "[...]please set $TYPO3\_CONF\_VARS['SYS']['encryptionKey'] to a unique
> and secret key[...]"
>
> There's no particular information about where to set that parameter. Of
> course it can be done from the Install Tool, but the localconf.php could
> also be edited manually. Questions:
>
> 1) can LocalConfiguration.php still be edited manually? If yes, are
> there limits to what you can do (adding, editing, deleting configuration
> options)?

This is for someone else to answer. I'm just here cause of your question 2):

> 2) LocalConfiguration.php does not explicitly mention TYPO3_CONF_VARS
> anymore. How should we refer to that then?

I would refer to these settings in a generic way and link these passages
to a central place where the exact "how to work with local
configuration" is explained.

Maybe there could be a "macro" or "template" you could create (don't
know if this is possible with ReST) so that your editors simply write:

".. please set {LocalConf ['SYS']['encryptionKey']} ... "

(this is invented syntax, adapt to the one used by ReST...).

and this would render something like this:

".. please set the <link>Local Configuration</link> item
"['SYS']['encryptionKey']" to a unique ..."

The <link> then points to a central place where you explain what this
"Local Configuration" is, how it can be set (through the install tool,
manually, etc..) and maybe even explain the difference between the
handling in 4.x and 6.x releases. This central place should be something
written by a guy that worked on that particular changes (i.e. Christian
Kuhn ... ).

Cheers,
Ernesto