[TYPO3-core] "uploads/" to "FAL" Migration - technical detail question

Benjamin Mack benni at typo3.org
Wed Nov 28 15:07:24 CET 2012

Hey devs,

I'm currently working on an improvement of the install tool upgrade
wizard of migrating all uploads/* records to fileadmin/_migrated.

Currently, this wizard is pretty "dumb", just moving the files over,
indexing the file and add the sys_file_reference.

So, one of the (for me) largest downsides of uploads/ was that the same
file was added multiple times. I have a change almost ready, where the
migration wizard first creates a SHA1 of the uploads/XYZ.jpg file, and
then checks if there is a file in the target storage with the same SHA1.
The existing file is then used, and not copied over again.

What do you think? Is this helpful? Or is the "plain" behaviour better
in most cases?

All the best,
Benni.