[TYPO3-core] Proposal for the upcoming Roadmap and LTS

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Wed Nov 7 11:33:30 CET 2012

Hi,

On 7-11-2012 10:25, Lukas Rueegg [RTP] wrote:

>> so the question would be whether the work to support LTS could/should
>> be by the Assoc in some way.
> I'm actually not aware of the detailed funding of core members. But in
> my opinion, the 'LTS or not' discussion should be held without the money
> in mind. If there is a strategic decision that there should be an LTS
> version, we would have to talk about the budget to maintain it.

The funding is pretty much public IMO. In short (probably too short, but
you'll get the general idea):
- core team leaders are paid part-time
- core team members and contributors are not paid at all for coding;
some are sponsored by their employers (or by themselves) by allowing
some working hours to be spent on core work
- core team members get reimbursed for cost of travel, hotel and part of
the event fee for core team meetings (up till this year only T3DD, next
year perhaps also T3CON if budget is given)
- contributors and core team members who attend code sprints are
reimbursed for cost of travel and hotel

As you can see contributors (including core team members) are not paid
(there is paid development for Flow/Neos, but we're talking here about
TYPO3 CMS). For next year there is a budget application to have a paid
developer (a couple of days per month) for maintenance tasks that are
currently not done.

If agencies want to have more and longer maintenance then they should
find a solution for that (possibly through the Association). As
developers are not paid for development there is little you can demand
from them.
LTS has been sold as a cheap solution to have a long time without (paid)
updates. If this long time of support has to be paid by the agencies
then the clients probably have to pay for that too.
TANSTAAFL!

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 Core Team member