[TYPO3-core] Proposal for the upcoming Roadmap and LTS

Lukas Lukas
Wed Nov 7 12:26:28 CET 2012

Hi

> The funding is pretty much public IMO. In short (probably too short,
> but you'll get the general idea):
> - core team leaders are paid part-time
> - core team members and contributors are not paid at all for coding;
> some are sponsored by their employers (or by themselves) by allowing
> some working hours to be spent on core work
> - core team members get reimbursed for cost of travel, hotel and part
> of the event fee for core team meetings (up till this year only T3DD,
> next year perhaps also T3CON if budget is given)
> - contributors and core team members who attend code sprints are
> reimbursed for cost of travel and hotel

So you don't get lunch anyway ;)
Neither if you're working on new versions or maintaining current
versions. And we can continue our discussion about reasons and discuss
the funding thing elsewhere.

> As you can see contributors (including core team members) are not paid
> (there is paid development for Flow/Neos, but we're talking here about
> TYPO3 CMS). For next year there is a budget application to have a paid
> developer (a couple of days per month) for maintenance tasks that are
> currently not done.
>
> If agencies want to have more and longer maintenance then they should
> find a solution for that (possibly through the Association). As
> developers are not paid for development there is little you can demand
> from them.
> LTS has been sold as a cheap solution to have a long time without
> (paid) updates. If this long time of support has to be paid by the
> agencies then the clients probably have to pay for that too.
> TANSTAAFL!

Why blame the agencies? At least, they are implementing probably the
most important bunch of professional TYPO3 instances. And they are
maintaining them also. Which helps in return TYPO3 as a project because
the installations are kept up to date (remember the discussion about
TYPO3 being insecure and all that?). And they probably fund a large
amount of the money being raised to the Association.

So, for me, the question remains: Do we need all these new fancy
features (which are great, no doubt!) in short lifecycles? And who,
respective why? Or do we probably prefer a few features less per year
in new releases but having a stable and safe and maintainable version
for agencies (and other parties who do not want or do not have the
resources to update every year)?

Best regards
Lukas.