[TYPO3-core] Proposal for the upcoming Roadmap and LTS

Tolleiv Nietsch tolleiv.nietsch at typo3.org
Wed Nov 7 10:06:08 CET 2012

Hi,

Lukas Rueegg [RTP] schrieb:

> We have roughly 60 active TYPO3 instances, all running the current 4.5
> LTS. Every year, some instances are added. If we would be forced to
> upgrade all these instances every 6 months, we would have to hire a
> developer just for this task. And someone would have to pay him, which
> -- in the end -- will be the customer.

Please keep in mind that we're talking about "free software" - not "free
work". Having an LTS is quite some effort which has to be done and doing
this on a voluntary basis doesn't make it less effort and takes away
momentum from active voluntary contributors.

I assume you talk from an Assoc Gold Member perspective - so the
question would be whether the work to support LTS could/should be by the
Assoc in some way.

Cheers,
Tolleiv
--