[TYPO3-core] Thinking about a lightweight backend - what do you think?

Thomas Esders esders at naw.info
Wed Mar 14 16:13:30 CET 2012

Am 14.03.12 11:44, schrieb Jigal van Hemert:
> Hi,

Thanks for your feedback!

> I tried to follow this thread, but I haven't been able to find anything
> about the concept of editing which you have in mind. Can you explain
> that concept a bit more? Things like "enough for the average editor for
> 80% of his work" is too vague.

Yes, true - as said before i will sit down and write a little concept
paper to explain my ideas closer...

> Besides, that would mean that each editor
> cannot do his work with it for one day each week!

I don´t understand what you mean here, sorry...

> The look should follow the concept, don't you think?

Yes. As said before:

"[...]
The challenges are:
1. Make a rocket solid concept - prove to be right with early testing
before even designing (I can help here)
2. Make a modern looking design respecting the concept and the feedback
to this concept - prove to be right with testing (I can help here)
[...]"

>>> My experience with editors is the opposite: after a short period they
>>> want more and more options activated.
>>
>> I and my customers have a totally different view on that.
>
> The problem with a restricted set of options and tools is that over time
> most people want to do more advanced things. If they have no way of
> knowing what is available the majority will not ask about it but find
> 'creative' workarounds for their problems. This is often not the right
> solution.

Well, yes. My idea is that an advanced user switches to the "normal"
backend then...

> There is always a group of editors who could use a simplified backend.
> It would be nice if you could elaborate a bit on your expectations of
> such a backend.

I will, see above...

Greets,

Thomas