[TYPO3-core] Thinking about a lightweight backend - what do you think?

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Wed Mar 14 11:44:07 CET 2012

Hi,

On 14-3-2012 9:15, Thomas Esders wrote:
> I know, but the you still got the same concept of edition and the same
> "look" - that is not what i got in my mind.

I tried to follow this thread, but I haven't been able to find anything
about the concept of editing which you have in mind. Can you explain
that concept a bit more? Things like "enough for the average editor for
80% of his work" is too vague. Besides, that would mean that each editor
cannot do his work with it for one day each week!

The look should follow the concept, don't you think?

> Well, the question is: How independent are we in "skinning"? Or do we
> depend on backend.php?

All images, colour, sizes and everything of the styling is in the system
extension t3skin; if there are backend styling things in the core
(except for class names) they should be moved to the skin extension.

backend.php is 'just' the backbone which takes care of initialization of
module menu, registered navigation elements (e.g. pagetree), toolbar, etc.
You can even define a module which is loaded at start-up. This could be
your own 'page' module with a different page tree and different editing
tools. If you combine this with restrictions to the accessible modules
for a BE user there is a high level of customization possible.

>> My experience with editors is the opposite: after a short period they
>> want more and more options activated.
>
> I and my customers have a totally different view on that.

The problem with a restricted set of options and tools is that over time
most people want to do more advanced things. If they have no way of
knowing what is available the majority will not ask about it but find
'creative' workarounds for their problems. This is often not the right
solution.

There is always a group of editors who could use a simplified backend.
It would be nice if you could elaborate a bit on your expectations of
such a backend.

--
Kind regards / met vriendelijke groet,

Jigal van Hemert.