[TYPO3-core] Thinking about a lightweight backend - what do you think?

Thomas Esders esders at naw.info
Mon Mar 5 19:52:20 CET 2012

Hi List,

for some weeks now i think about the idea of a lightweight TYPO3 backend
for many reasons. I do not have a clear vision in mind about that at the
moment and i do not know if someone already is working on this. I just
like to share my idea with you and get some feedback.

I saw some bootstrap prototyping on twitter (i.e.
https://github.com/ingorenner/typo3-bootstrap) and there might be many
more around...

I just would like to start a discussion and see in which direction it
will go and where i could help (I am not a developer, but i do
conceptional stuff and project management stuff at work). I do not have
a concret TYPO3 version as a target version in mind - i think it is to
early for that at the moment.

So, here are my very rough thought on that topic - somehow not sorted...

I would like to do a concept for a new TYPO3 Backend with a conceptual
editor-centric approach with no technological background (or borders?)
in mind.

The idea would be to think about the every day work of a "standard"
editor and strip the backend down to right this. This might be:
- CRUD for pages ("Standard" page)
- CRUD for content (text, text with picture - not much more i think)
- Upload files
[- perhaps CRUD for News]

I think that´s nearly all, perhaps we need some more but i guess that is
what and editor does most of the time.

The challenge of this project would be to make these few tasks as easy
and "pretty" as possible.

For all other tasks there will be the Backend we all know and a user can
switch to this.

I think this approach can solve some problems which because:
- we can show customers an easy, pretty and clean backend to convince
them that TYPO3 is the right choise
- it will make the backend fast
- We can implement this backend without breaking backwards compatibility
because the "old" backend would exist in parallel (i am not fully sure
here, because i am not a developer :) )

Next steps?
For me the next step is to see your reactions and your ideas on my
thoughts. I can imagine to sum-up your ideas to write a little concept.

In my mind we could be a group of 4 or 5 people who develop this idea
into a concept to make sure it is not only "my vision".

So, those are my rought thoughts, what do you think?

Greetings,
Thomas Esders
Twitter: @PechGehabt