[TYPO3-core] Discussion: Remove default columns in favour for backend_layout

Philipp Gampe philipp.gampe at typo3.org
Thu Jul 19 18:45:33 CEST 2012

Hi JoH asenau,

JoH asenau wrote:

>> Why? Of course the selected backend layout still needs to be stored in
>> the page record. I don't see the connection to TypoScript here.
>
> I understood, that you would provide layouts purely based on TSconfig
> without making them selectable in the TCE form of a page.
>
> So you just want to provide the available backend layout setups via
> TSconfig but still do the selection within the backend editing form of
> the page?

Yes, that is what I understood. But for the start, it might be enough to set
the default layout via TSconfig and override it with the records.
Selecting further layouts from TSconfig can be added as a feature later
(IMHO).

> The problem with this solution would be that there is no normalized DB
> connection between layouts and pages anymore, which was the main reason
> why we provided DB records to store the backend layouts in. So you would
> save values in the DB without being able to remove them, when the
> TSconfig changes, leading to "value not allowed" messages, when editing
> the form. After all this would be close to the mess we already got with
> the TemplaVoila way of doing things.

The is buggy anyway. If I delete an assigned record, then the available
columns and the column names will keep coming from the record, while the
ordering is the default left, center, right one.

The page settings shows the invalid value as expected.

The only advantage I see with the record is, that you get a warning while
deleting the record because it is still used by x references.

Best regards
Documentation – linkvalidator
TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!